Thursday, May 12, 2016

Super Heroes Are Finished!!!!



Our Super Heroes are finally finished. I loved how this project turned out but  I would scale it down a bit if I were to do it again, or have a tighter deadline so my students knew I meant business... But I think making the project itself smaller would help with project burn out.

If you haven't seen the start of this project click here. We looked at recycled artist Jeff Ballard's work, which is AMAZING!

Here are some of our finished pieces.

How do you keep your student's motivated when they have been working on a project for a significant amount of time?


Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Henri Rousseau Inspired Mixed Media Jungle Paintings

5th grade artists have been up to some really amazing stuff in the art room this past week. Students looked at Henri Rousseau's jungle paintings for inspiration and I got this idea from a fellow instagramming art teacher. For my project I changed it a little bit. I had students follow along with my drawing a rhinoceros, making sure that they added their own individual flare to their own work (we talked about their rhino's emotions and how that could translate to the picture). Then after they rough drafted their ideas, we got to work on watercolor paper. Drawing in pencil to start out with, students were to make sure that the rhino as the main focal point and at least 80% of the page.


Next students students used black acrylic paint to outline their pencil lines. And oh my gosh did they want to use marker. Even if I did this next time I would still have them use paint because it really helps them work on painting accuracy.

Then students worked on blending oil pastel ( I didn't steer them in any particular direction for their color choices) and filled in their rhinos.

After that we talked about different ways to apply watercolor (a lot of students have never really played with this material before) and then I let them paint their backgrounds the different methods. 

I seriously love how these turned out and everyone, every single child in class completed a successful picture. I love when that happens.

Things to note: 

Remind students about creating variety with their leaves, have print outs or images on computers where they are able to look at all different types of foliage. I didn't stop students from adding trees or flowers too.

Also mentioning about how it was more than OK to OVERLAP your leaves!

Encourage expression to evoke feelings from the viewer, placement of eyes, and eyebrows play a huge part in this. 

Make sure the whole page is covered with color (if that's your thing) I allow my students to use white, they just have to color it in with a white oil pastel. 

Have students get up and walk around and look at other student's work every once and a while. This fosters lots of great conversations about art!

What have you been making in your classroom?


Thursday, March 10, 2016

8th Grade Clay Slab Bio Boxes

I inherited my middle school art classroom from a phenomenal art teacher, who is now a ceramics teacher at the high school in my district. Her strength is definitely clay and my students love her. Needless to say, I had to find a fun ceramic project to grab my students because they expected something awesome.

I searched for a while and I totally fell in love with the idea of slab boxes. Here and here are some great examples via the web with student work. I initially hoped for these slab boxes to be narrative, explaining in depth things about my students lives. We talked about symbols and how they could relate to them. However as this project progressed it kind of morphed into things my students enjoyed like dirt bikes and ice cream cones and I am totally okay with that. 

This student transferred an image using a computer print out and a needle tool, amazing job.

I was really excited about the slab box in the back. The lid broke into two and instead of flipping out this student chose to put teeth on it and make it look intentional.



Below is the rubric that we used, feel free to grab it!

8th Grade Narrative Slab Box Assessment Rubric
Good 9
Basic 8
Needs Improvement 7 or below
Your rating
Teacher rating
Student created a slab box that was 4x4 inches on each side,  free of cracks and bumps, with smooth texture.

Student created 5 different sides with symbols describing the artist.

Student was on task for the entire project, slipping and scoring work properly, using clay correctly and treating others with respect.

Student had at least 3 sides with raised images. And used the needle tool correctly for small details.

Student participated in class critique.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...